List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: [kde] Re: The KDE Free Qt Foundation
From:       Reginald Stadlbauer <reggie () sbox ! tu-graz ! ac ! at>
Date:       1998-04-12 13:31:33

Am Sun, 12 Apr 1998 schrieb Daniel Egger:
>On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, you wrote:
>
>>Why don't you just spend your time optimizing KDE ?
>
> I think the main reason for this slowness is Qt....

I think Qt is one of the fastest toolkits!

>>And calling KDE Big and slow is 1 thing.  but putting it in the
>>same category as windows is a different mater entirely.
>
> Oh sorry.... Windows is considered to be a complete OS while
> KDE is only an Desktop environment.... with KDE and Qt needing
> more than 40 MB on my harddisk that's just a bit to less....
>
>>I multiboot
 just about every major consumer X86 OS out there and
>>Linux plus
 KDE can still run rings around all of them on my corent PC.
>>Even FVWM isn't noticeably faster.
>
> Hm, afterstep is a lot faster and I like it's design.
> Problem: It doesn't integrate into the rest of KDE.... or should
> I say KDE is not supposed to let another WM mange the windows?

Do you suffer from depressions?? Or why do you only mention negative arguments
(although you can't document that they are right!!!!) If KDE is such a bad
desktop in your opinion (AFAIK you said the same about GNOME and WIN), why do
you use it and 'waste your time' for it? Use another (in your opinion) better
desktop (is there existion a desktop, which is not bad, slow and big in your
opinion?)

Anyway, I think this is the wrong place for these destructive critics, and it's
also the wrong place for this discussion. There is an own ML for license related
topics.

Ciao, Reggie

--
Reginald Stadlbauer