List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Metadata use ideas collecting... :)
From:       Eric E <whalesuit () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-05-16 0:35:11

Here's a metadata idea that I've been kicking around
for a while:
To augment some of the search ideas people have put
forth in reply to this thread, I'd like to suggest
collecting a list of applications launched, activated,
and what files they wrote to as a very interesting
kind of metadata.

For example:
	If I switch from a word processor to email, there's a
decent chance that the two documents are related.  If
I do it 3 or 4 times in quick succession, there's a
pretty high chance that the two are related.  So if I
start looking for that document I was writing about
business opportunities abroad, such a search could
rely on the fact of my having switched into the email
and then the spreadsheet a number of times to bring up
related documents as a search documents.

	Another use would be to set each virtual desktop as
corresponding to a project, and use the data about
what app ran when and on what desktop, and what files
each app saved to organize to automatically save the
user's data into the appropriate project.  As an even
more ambitious idea, each project could then be
handled in a by CVS-style content management system
which let you handle versions, revisions, undos, etc.
And of course, you'd be able to turn it all off....

Of course there's a whole raft of privacy issues with
collecting information about what a user's doing, but
this is a natural consequence of having the computer
understand what you're doing - it can tell someone
else.  And I think KDE can handle it will by putting
the user in total control of such data.

Add this to the list of metadata ideas.

Cheers,

Eric