List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Moving away from app-centric mimetypes (e.g. kword)
From:       Allan Sandfeld Jensen <snowwolf () one2one-networks ! com>
Date:       2002-05-16 0:09:42

On Wednesday 15 May 2002 23:17, Brad Hards wrote:
> The first part of this comes across as condescending.
>
> You might be able to do a userspace filesystem, and mount it using the
> loopback interface, but it would still need some kernel support.
>
> In any case, we can implement it without a full virtual filesystem, and get
> most of the functionality required. In any case, it would allow the
> userspace presentation (which should be mostly indpendent of the underlying
> implementation) to be determined. That is a more useful thing to be
> discussing in any case (especially on a look'n'feel list)

Well, my basic argument is that filesystems are not offered directly by the
kernel. They are offered by libraries that just happen to use the kernel on
operating systems with a monolithic kernel. If we want extra features like
extended attributes, we are already breaking or at least extending the posix
filesystem interface, and migth as well make a new and better one.
 If we have such a new interface and it either was backwards compatible or it
becomes defacto standard, we have what we want; a transparent extension to
already existing filesystems.

Ofcouse there are advantages of placing metadata-support in the kernel, most
notable instant transparancy. The disadvantage is that it would take a decade
before we could even assume most linux' installation used such a FS, (and
before that possible longer to even convince the kernel-hackers that such a
feature belongs in the kernel. )

To place the metadata in separate files in a directory is not much different
from wrapping the files, it will look odd to 3rdparty applications and
metadata would not survive to move through such applications.

The best thing I guess, would be to implement something simple with a
welldefined standard. It might also be wise to make it look like something
independ from KDE, that we just "happen" to like and thus implement.
Hopefully other non-KDE applications will then implement the same standard.