List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Metadata use ideas collecting... :)
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () Kossebau ! de>
Date:       2002-05-19 21:34:38

Hi Eric,

I am sorry, though I find your idea quite interesting I don't have a
clue
what kind of metadata could be used to describe the relation between the
files. And which app/instance should collect these information?

I fear I need further description :)

Please remember I would like to know what kind of metadata data will be
used i.e. the structure, keys and values.

Eric E schrieb:

> Here's a metadata idea that I've been kicking around
> for a while:
> To augment some of the search ideas people have put
> forth in reply to this thread, I'd like to suggest
> collecting a list of applications launched, activated,
> and what files they wrote to as a very interesting
> kind of metadata.
>
> For example:
>         If I switch from a word processor to email, there's a
> decent chance that the two documents are related.  If
> I do it 3 or 4 times in quick succession, there's a
> pretty high chance that the two are related.  So if I
> start looking for that document I was writing about
> business opportunities abroad, such a search could
> rely on the fact of my having switched into the email
> and then the spreadsheet a number of times to bring up
> related documents as a search documents.

Do you suggest a file metadata entry where all the other files that were
worked on are listed? Perhaps additionally with the number of swaps?

>         Another use would be to set each virtual desktop as
> corresponding to a project, and use the data about
> what app ran when and on what desktop, and what files
> each app saved to organize to automatically save the
> user's data into the appropriate project.  As an even
> more ambitious idea, each project could then be
> handled in a by CVS-style content management system
> which let you handle versions, revisions, undos, etc.
> And of course, you'd be able to turn it all off....

But this would result in a project description that should be handled by
an own app, perhaps Gideon/KDevelop or that IBM project app (that open
source thing, forgot the name) can handle this...

> Of course there's a whole raft of privacy issues with
> collecting information about what a user's doing, but
> this is a natural consequence of having the computer
> understand what you're doing - it can tell someone
> else.  And I think KDE can handle it will by putting
> the user in total control of such data.
>
> Add this to the list of metadata ideas.

I would like to :o)

> Cheers,