List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Moving away from app-centric mimetypes (e.g. kword)
From:       Sven Niedner <niedner () physik ! uni-kiel ! de>
Date:       2002-05-15 23:13:27

On Wednesday 15 May 2002 15:25, Dave Leigh wrote:
> As one who suggests this, I don't think it's missing the point at
> all. The point is, given that all non-filesystem solutions are hacks,
> you have to pick the best hack out of the pile. IMHO, using metadata

Yes, this might be _one_ implementation of metadata, but we have to take
care to be upwards compatible once filesystems will support it.
Breaking backwards compatibility in KDE just because other kernels do
support meta data would be harmful.

Thererfore, think "meta data" first, then think implementation. Unless a
good and generic concept is there, it does more harm than good to have
a crude hack implemented.

Greetings,

Sven.

--
I don't have an email address. I reached an age where my main
purpose is not to receive messages. (Umberto Eco)