List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Konqueror design proposal
From:       Henry Stanaland <henryst () MIT ! EDU>
Date:       2002-02-17 21:40:30

> > Before I comment, would someone like to tell me what these sidebar
> > tabs/icons are meant to do?
>
> they show different sidebar panels.. the original sidebar was getting VERY
> cluttered with bookmarks, home directory, root, services, network
> shortcuts, etc... people wanted some of those items, but not all.. some
> wanted them to be shown some of the time, or in diferent orders, etc... the
> new sidebar allows a collection of items in the tab bar that can then be
> clicked on to show their items in the sidebar. adding new items is fairly
> easy, but could be made easier IMO.
>
> > They're very pretty, but not very intuitive -- at least not without
> > actually clicking on them and seeing what happens.

Like I said in the previous e-mail, I think text would be better.

> > Is that really a Close Box in the sidebar? Please tell me it
> > doesn't close the window.
>
> it closes the sidebar.. i had a patch at one point that removed the close
> button and moved it to the menu instead. the maintainer used the part that
> moved it to the wrench button/menu, but kept the button... i personally
> don't think the close button is a great idea...

Why not get rid of the close button, and put a little verticle "handle" like
in Netscape 6 and Explorer for MacOSX (atleast back in the beta days).
This way you can press the verticle handle to "hide" the sidebar.  When
hidden there will be a slightly visible handle that you can press again to
open it.  In addition, this would definately add consistency to those people
who are accustomed to those other browsers(I bet Oprah is similar).  However,
it would require a someone customized version of the "seperator" widget.

Just my suggestions.

Henry