List:       kde-look
Subject:    Re: Konqueror design proposal
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2002-02-17 22:36:11

On Sunday 17 February 2002 16:40, Henry Stanaland wrote:

> > > They're very pretty, but not very intuitive -- at least not without
> > > actually clicking on them and seeing what happens.
>
> Like I said in the previous e-mail, I think text would be better.

Well, there are options for icons+text elsewhere, why not here? I think a
natural progression for a user is icons+text, icons only with tooltips, icons
only. At least with me the tendency is toward using the smallest control so I
can cram more controls into less space, leaving more room to work in.

> > that moved it to the wrench button/menu, but kept the button... i
> > personally don't think the close button is a great idea...

Not in an SDI application, no.

> Why not get rid of the close button, and put a little verticle "handle"
> like in Netscape 6 and Explorer for MacOSX (atleast back in the beta days).
> This way you can press the verticle handle to "hide" the sidebar.  When
> hidden there will be a slightly visible handle that you can press again to
> open it.  In addition, this would definately add consistency to those
> people who are accustomed to those other browsers(I bet Oprah is similar).

"Oprah?" I didn't think she was a browser (more like a grazer, IMHO... Mooo.)
It's OK, we know what you mean.

In Opera you have a choice of floating or docked, with the "Hotlist" (their
name for the sidebar) being toggled by an icon on the toolbar. When it's
turned off there's no handle. When it's hidden there's a little vertical bar
at the left of the browser. In Netscape there's no handle either if the
sidebar is turned off. The handle is used to "hide" and "reveal" the sidebar.

In either application "closing" a sidebar is different from "hiding" it.
Closing it removes all traces from the screen; hiding simply simply reduces
it to zero width, leaving the border.

--
dave.leigh@cratchit.org
http://www.cratchit.org

A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and
ask for it back the when it begins to rain.
		-- Robert Frost