List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Fwd: KDE 2.2 upgrade
From:       "Brett I.Holcomb" <bholcomb () cableone ! net>
Date:       2001-09-03 12:35:09

> On Sun, 2 Sep 2001 07:17, Brett I.Holcomb wrote:
> > I know there have been other posts on this subjects (I saw them in
> > the archive) but I need to add my comments and maybe get some
> > feedback.
> >
> >  I am running Caldera Workstation 3.1 which came with KDE 2.1.  Last
> > night I UPGRADED to KDE 2.2 using the Caldera Workstation 3.1 RPM
> > from the KDE ftp site - this is not a vendor package nor did I build
> > it - it is a KDE package so I didn't mess up a build.
>
> Firstly KDE does not build rpms. They only write source. All the rpm's
> on all the sites and mirrors are made by the respective ditributions.
>
> You should find out from your didtros site if there are any problems
> with their builds. If you did not reboot after upgrading then you would
> have problems. You cant run 2.1 , exit to console, upgrade and then
> start kde2.2 because the old kde2.1 libs are still in cache.

None posted.  I did a shutdown/reboot, then came up in runlevel 3 without
entering KDE at all.  I followed the readme and made sure all dependencies
were met.

> Your sound problems have nothing to do with kde except start and end
> sounds probably need to be reset in notifications in control-centre.
> The permissions issue is totally due to your distro especially if it is
> being set on reboot.

Okay.  Found that - I'd missed it before.  However, Kmedia Player and XMMS
don't work - Kmedia Player starts showing the icon on the task bar, then
quits. XMMS starts but will lock up when you hit the play button.   I can
play CDs.  I get no error messages.  Kbattleship won't start either but
Kabalone will.  Is this related to not removing the files from /tmp and
~./kde2?

> A lot of problem with kde upgrades are fixed by deleting / renaming
> your home/USERNAME/.kde (or .kde2, whatever it was for kde2.1 on
> caldera), deleting any dcop-/username etc files and clearing out the
> /tmp directory then starting kde and letting it rebuild its .kde folder.

Okay.  Given that I've installed 2.2 can I go back, do as you state, then
reinstall KDE 2.2 (using the -i switch insted of -u)?  Since I have a lot of
apps (Kmail, Knode, Konqueror, etc.) that have info in ~/.kde2 what files is
it critical that I get rid of - I assume any dcop files and clean out /tmp -
are there any more.  Or will I have have to rename the current ~/.kde2 and
then copy my app files back into it ?

> Make sure that your system is using the right QT. A lot of distros use
> links that need to be updated with a new QT. So make sure the variable
> QTDIR points to the location of where that new qt is installed ie: if
> QTDIR=/ust/lib/qt2 then qt2 should be the dire or at least a link to the
> dir where the new qt2.3.1 is.

Done.  I checked the requirements on the KDE site before I downloaded and the
RPM included a qt2-2.3.1-2 which I installed.  It's in /usr/lib/qt2.

> Andrew

Brett I. Holcomb
AKA Grunt <><