List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Fwd: KDE 2.2 upgrade
From:       "Akar th' 'orrible" <akar () optusnet ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-09-03 9:12:37

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001 07:17, Brett I.Holcomb wrote:
> I know there have been other posts on this subjects (I saw them in
> the archive) but I need to add my comments and maybe get some
> feedback.
>
>  I am running Caldera Workstation 3.1 which came with KDE 2.1.  Last
> night I UPGRADED to KDE 2.2 using the Caldera Workstation 3.1 RPM
> from the KDE ftp site - this is not a vendor package nor did I build
> it - it is a KDE package so I didn't mess up a build.

Firstly KDE does not build rpms. They only write source. All the rpm's
on all the sites and mirrors are made by the respective ditributions.

You should find out from your didtros site if there are any problems
with their builds. If you did not reboot after upgrading then you would
have problems. You cant run 2.1 , exit to console, upgrade and then
start kde2.2 because the old kde2.1 libs are still in cache.

Your sound problems have nothing to do with kde except start and end
sounds probably need to be reset in notifications in control-centre.
The permissions issue is totally due to your distro especially if it is
being set on reboot.

A lot of problem with kde upgrades are fixed by deleting / renaming
your home/USERNAME/.kde (or .kde2, whatever it was for kde2.1 on
caldera), deleting any dcop-/username etc files and clearing out the
/tmp directory then starting kde and letting it rebuild its .kde folder.

Make sure that your system is using the right QT. A lot of distros use
links that need to be updated with a new QT. So make sure the variable
QTDIR points to the location of where that new qt is installed ie: if
QTDIR=/ust/lib/qt2 then qt2 should be the dir or at least a link to the
dir where the new qt2.3.1 is.

Andrew