List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] from KDE2.0.1 to KDE2.2
From:       Pam R <pam.roberts () btinternet ! com>
Date:       2001-09-04 18:16:19

On Tuesday 04 September 2001 3:59 pm, Chris Leversuch wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 September 2001 3:21 pm, Carlo Maria Laorenza wrote:
> > Hy all!
> > I tried to upgrade to kde2.2 in this way:
> > - turned off KDE2.0.1 as user
> > - turned on a session as superuser
> > - went in the dir were I stored all the new rpms
> > - lunched the         rpm -Fvh *.rpm        command
> > - ........nothing, only a lot of dependency not satisfied!!!!
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> By doing * it won't be installing them in the right order. Try doing the
> kdelibs rpm, then the others except the kdeaddons rpm, then the kdeaddons
> rpm.
>
> I may be wrong, but that's the order you had to install from source in.

No, the really nice thing about using *.rpm is that the rpm program then
automagically works out the correct order to install everything and so avoide
a whole mess of interdependancy problems.

_but_  rpm -Uvh is better than rpm -Fvh as the F option only updates existing
packages and won't install a new one. man rpm is you helper here.

Pam
--
UK Linux Step by Step mirror: http://www.pam.roberts.btinternet.co.uk/sxs/