List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Does KDE 3.3.1 have a network config wizard?
From:       Matthew Robinson <mattyrobinson () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-01-16 20:23:33

On Sunday 16 January 2005 20:01, Pollywog wrote:
> I have a machine that runs Xandros 3 and it has a wizard that helps
> configure the network.
>
> My Thinkpad is running Debian with KDE 3.3.1 and I see KDE utilities for
> configuring desktop and file sharing and Samba, but none for configuring
> network interfaces.
>
> Also, I was unable to use kppp because my pcmcia modem is on ttyS14 and
> kppp does not offer that as a modem.  I symlinked /dev/ttyS14 to /dev/modem
> but the link disappears on reboot.  I use the pon command and that works
> very well but I had a tough time getting the connection to actually work
> until I remembered that /etc/networks/interfaces did not list a ppp0
> interface. A configuration wizard would have enabled me to get things
> working sooner. Once I remembered to add ppp0 to interfaces everything
> worked.
>
> So, is there a wizard that I am not seeing?

Not as far as i know of. Debian probably has something in their package
repositry, try aptgetting net-setup (thats what i think gentoo uses, maybe
debian does too), thats curses based though.

You could just put this in one of your startup files though;

rm /dev/modem
ln -s /dev/ttyS14 /dev/modem

that way the symlink would be remade on every boot