List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] non-DKE application button does not inherit the shell
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-12-30 5:13:21

Jose Borreguero wrote:
> I just created a non-KDE application button for the "komodo" program. When
> I open komodo by clicking the button, I find that some features are lost.
> However, when I open komodo from the konsole (by typing "komodo"), the
> features are all OK.
>
> I suspect that the value of the $PATH environment variable that is
> inherited by komodo is different when I open it from the konsole than when
> I click the non-KDE application button.
>
> I had added the correct paths to my "~/.tcshrc" script for komodo to work
> well. It seems then that the non-KDE application button does not run
> "~/.tcshrc" when clicked. Can anybody tell me how the shell enviroment is
> inherited by the non-KDE application?

The startup is different if you start from the Console vs. using the
Graphical login, but I will presume that you are using the graphical
login, but keep in mind that if you want to use "startx" from the
command line that you might have to do something else for it to work.

What KK says is correct, and then if you start an interactive shell in a
Konsole, it will source the resource files _for_that_shell.  After you
login with the interactive shell your X session is started by a script
called: "Xsession" it is this script and/or options in the: "kdmrc" file
that determines the environment that will be present when the:
"startkde" script is called.

First thing is to check the: "Xsession" script.  Notice that although
you are using: TCSh that the first line of: "Xsession" is probably:

	#! /bin/sh

which on a Linux system will normally run it with Bash in the Bourne
Shell mode.

So now that you have suffered through this short system admin lesson,
this comes down to the fact that you need to make sure that: "Xsession"
runs  "~/.tcshrc" before it calls: "startkde".  The stock script does
NOT do that.  It runs: "~/.login" which is where your user PATH should
be set.  System PATH should be set in: "/etc/csh.login"

If you are using the stock KDE: "Xsession" script, you also need to make
sure that your: SHELL environment variable is set to: "tcsh" BEFORE:
"Xsession" is run.

NOTE: if you have a distro binary, the: "Xsession" script may have been
modified.

--
JRT