List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] non-DKE application button does not inherit the
From:       Jose Borreguero <jmborr () fuji ! bu ! edu>
Date:       2005-01-04 19:07:38

Thanks for the tip, JRT. It wasn't straightforward but enough to solve
the problem.

The "Xsession" script is a default file for all users in the system, thus
I cannot edit and tailor it for my own particular environment variables.

However, "Xsession" invokes "$HOME/.Xclients" which in turn invokes
the "$HOME/.Xclients-default" script. I could edit this file and included
the lines
    ~/.login
    ~/.tcshrc
This way KDE inherited all my user-defined environment variables.
Thanks again!
jose

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> Jose Borreguero wrote:
> > I just created a non-KDE application button for the "komodo" program. When
> > I open komodo by clicking the button, I find that some features are lost.
> > However, when I open komodo from the konsole (by typing "komodo"), the
> > features are all OK.
> >
> > I suspect that the value of the $PATH environment variable that is
> > inherited by komodo is different when I open it from the konsole than when
> > I click the non-KDE application button.
> >
> > I had added the correct paths to my "~/.tcshrc" script for komodo to work
> > well. It seems then that the non-KDE application button does not run
> > "~/.tcshrc" when clicked. Can anybody tell me how the shell enviroment is
> > inherited by the non-KDE application?
>
> The startup is different if you start from the Console vs. using the
> Graphical login, but I will presume that you are using the graphical
> login, but keep in mind that if you want to use "startx" from the
> command line that you might have to do something else for it to work.
>
> What KK says is correct, and then if you start an interactive shell in a
> Konsole, it will source the resource files _for_that_shell.  After you
> login with the interactive shell your X session is started by a script
> called: "Xsession" it is this script and/or options in the: "kdmrc" file
> that determines the environment that will be present when the:
> "startkde" script is called.
>
> First thing is to check the: "Xsession" script.  Notice that although
> you are using: TCSh that the first line of: "Xsession" is probably:
>
> 	#! /bin/sh
>
> which on a Linux system will normally run it with Bash in the Bourne
> Shell mode.
>
> So now that you have suffered through this short system admin lesson,
> this comes down to the fact that you need to make sure that: "Xsession"
> runs  "~/.tcshrc" before it calls: "startkde".  The stock script does
> NOT do that.  It runs: "~/.login" which is where your user PATH should
> be set.  System PATH should be set in: "/etc/csh.login"
>
> If you are using the stock KDE: "Xsession" script, you also need to make
> sure that your: SHELL environment variable is set to: "tcsh" BEFORE:
> "Xsession" is run.
>
> NOTE: if you have a distro binary, the: "Xsession" script may have been
> modified.
>
> --
> JRT

 Jose Borreguero    jmborr@bu.edu    http://www.borreguero.com
 work 617 353 8051            fax 617 353 9393
All wisdom is from the Lord God, and hath been always with him --Ecc:1.1