List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Debugging question
From:       Tony Bloomfield <tonyb.lx () btinternet ! com>
Date:       2004-12-29 15:13:06

On Wednesday 29 Dec 2004 14:11, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> It is usually sufficient to have a debug version of the part of code you
> are working on, in your case KMyMoney.
>
> Actually you could ./configure the project with --enable-debug=full to get
> as much information as possible.
> Sometimes it might appear that a crash happend inside the libs (Qt or KDE)
> but usually this can be tracked down to some mistake in the application's
> code.
>
> If you get a crash and no good hint where it happens, put some debug output
> into the code that runs when it appears to crash.
> Something like
> void MyClass::myMethod(const QString& arg)
> {
>     kdDebug() << "entering MyClass::myMethod(" << arg << ")" << endl;
> }

Yes, when I'm doing something heavy, I do build with debug, and use kdbg.
However, it's a great help to have an idea where to put breakpoints etc.,
which backtrace will usually identify.

It's not really debugging problems I have, it's just that the lack of a
backtrace makes it that much harder.

I guess maybe Mandrake screwed up on the 10.0 distro, and left something out.

Anyway, thanks to all for the replies, and Happy New Year.

Cheers,
TonyB