List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] /usr/share/applications/*.desktop
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-10-27 21:01:41

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 22:23, jberthiaume@gniinc.net wrote:

> I checked a lot of tgz packages and many of them are creating .desktop
> files in /usr/share/applications/.
>
> I would like to know what is the purpose of those file. Of course I know

.desktop files are used for a couple of things:
http://freedesktop.org/Standards/desktop-entry-spec

> they are link to application in KDE but why they are in
> /usr/share/applications? Aren't they suppose to be in $KDEDIR/share/applnk/
> to be in the menu. Then why  people create those in a different folder? Is
> this only a distro confusion from converting rpm to tgz?

KDE is one of the desktop environments that implements freedesktop.org
specifications and one of the more recent specifications is the menu
specification:
http://freedesktop.org/Standards/menu-spec

For backwards compatability KDE also understands files in KDEDIR/share/applnk,
but following the shared specification has the advantage that the application
will be accessible in other desktops menus as well.

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@gmx.at>