List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Who has the best Distro?
From:       larry <larryt67 () outdrs ! net>
Date:       2004-10-24 18:12:01

Henry Holland Simms wrote:

> I have used Mandrake since building my 'puter.However I started with
> 8.2 powerpack then 9.1 then 10.0 and 10.1 I cannot get my sound to
> work and it is hit or miss on keeping the printer going with
> 10-10.1.It has been very frustrating as I have been trying to get
> sound since July,to no avail many mandrake'experts tell me that my
> audigy card is not supported yet it worked on 8.2 and 9.1.I have 3
> harddrives each with a different distro of mandrake.It also seems that
> 8.2 was better at getting RPM's loaded as under 10 I load the RPM's
> and then get dependency failure notices.8.2 seemed to warn you before
> or ask permission to load what it needed.I am very didinchantedI had
> hoped for an alternative to MSXP. Mandrake 8.2 with a later mozilla
> would be better for me than any subsequent mandrake distro.I
> personally cannot tell if kernal2.6 is much of an advance over 2.4 and
> my investment in mandrake 10 and services has been a waste of time and
> nervous energy,not to mention audigy EX platinum and a high-end THX
> speaker set-up.
>
> Sincerely,
> Holland Simms
>
>> Gentoo ;) If you have fast internet
>>
>> */Brian Demers <Brian.Demers@sybase.com>/* wrote:
>>
>>     Here is my question...
>>
>>     Who has the best KDE Distro...
>>
>>     I have been using RedHat since 5.2 But I am thinking about trying
>>     out a new
>>     distro...
>>     My to main concerns are APCI ( for my laptop )
>>     and updates..
>>
>>     Any thoughts?
>>
>>     -Brian

-------------------------------------
Hi folks,
Firstly, I am not a guru but have fiddled with Linux since Redhat 5.2
then promptly went to Mandrake until about a year ago. Although Mandrake
has a exellent installer and partitioning tool the OS, after installation
always seems to be 'not quite finised'. I have a couple versions of FBSD
installed and have tried Knoppix but can't really speak from experience
about any of the other flavors of Linux.

About 1 1/2 years ago I tried MEPIS!

mepis review:
http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/01/12/135232&tid=2&tid=16&tid=31&pagenum=1

If you want to try MEPIS on the cheap you can go to:
http://www.edmunds-enterprises.com/linux/cart.php/ba/plst/category/19
Mepis 2003.10.02 (2 CD SET)
Simply MEPIS 2004.03
If you go this route I suggest you get both (they're cheap)

I started with MEPIS 2003.10 and am now using Simply Mepis 2004.02
The 2004 series (2004.1 thru 2004.3) are prerelease but you wouldn't
know it as they are all improvements over the previous. As these are
all live CD's you can try before you install but if you have the
hard drive space do yourself a favor and install :)

I am confident most will be so impressed they will end up buying
from the MEPIS  website so as to properly support the hard work
and dedication to excellence by Warren, the developer.

Larry