List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] linux image compression
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-10-19 1:15:04

Thornton wrote:
> What is a good app to use on linux to do batch compressing of images?
>
> I used to use Ulead Smart Saver on windows but want to get away from as
> many windows apps as I can.

I am not familiar with the Windows application, so I don't know exactly what you
want to do.

If you want to take images in one format and change them to another (compressed)
format, you would require an application such as ImageMagick: "convert".  If you
have ImageMagick installed, KDE should already have some such actions available
in the "Actions -> Convert To" context menu (they won't show up unless the
command "convert" exists on your system).  You can make multiple selections.  If
this isn't exactly what you want, you can add your own actions to the 'desktop'
file:

	$KDEDIR/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus/imageconverter.desktop

These use the default value [75] for: "convert".  If you want a different value,
you need the option: -quality <value>.  Read the: "convert" & ImageMagick(1) man
pages.

I added JPEG-2000 [jp2].  Just use one of the existing options as a prototype.

Note that these say "Convert To" but they do not remove the original.

--
JRT