List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Execute scripts on logout
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-10-18 22:59:52

David Baron wrote:
> On Monday 18 October 2004 01:05, kde-linux-request@mail.kde.org wrote:
>
>>>How does one execute some scripts on logging out of a kde session?
>>
>>If you want them run as root, have:
>>
>>        $KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/Xreset
>>
>>script source them.
>>
>>If you want them run as USER, have them sourced at the end of the:
>>
>>        $KDEDIR/bin/startkde
>

> When is Xreset executed? When the "session" login terminates or when the
> X-session itself terminates. It would seem that I want something specific to
> the user's home, be it "/root" or "/home/username".

It is executed when control is returned to KDM.  That is when both the login and
the X-session terminates.  If you have multiple logins, each one has a separate
X-session.

> (Startkde (mine is on /usr/bin !!) would seem to be executed at KDE startup
> (any user). I am not sure when Xreset would be done but the name has its
> implication.)

The "startkde" script remains an open process while KDE runs.  Read the end of
the script starting with:

	echo 'startkde: Shutting down...'  1>&2

Or, (note what KK said) if your version's: "startkde" script has this, you can
put a global script (to be run as USER) in the directory: "$KDEDIR/shutdown" or
a user specific script in: "$HOME/.kde/shutdown".

NOTE: Xsession does not remain an open process.  It runs the command:

	exec startkde

which means that the process "startkde" replaces the process: "Xsession".

--
JRT