List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] console + motd ?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-10-19 2:31:20

Bernt Christandl wrote:
> Hello gurus,
>
> i'm using kde-3.2.3 at the moment and recognize 3 problems:

read: "help:/konsole" for general information

> -> how can i configure console in a way that /etc/motd
>    is evaluated like in a "normal" xterm?

I don't know that this should be different, except that when you open a Konsole,
you are not logging in.

> -> i seem to remember that i was able to configure console
>    that my ~/.login was executed when i start it (with some
>    older kde-version.) Now i can't do that again for 3.2.3 :(

You should not need to do this.  Your: "~/.bash_profile" file should be sourced
when you start KDE using KDM.  If you are using a different shell, I'm not sure
how it would work.

> -> The last one:
>    In a multiuser-environment, how can i make available some
>    locally customized settings for console (e.g. see question 1)
>    as something like the "system-default"?

Konsole, like other KDE applications saves a per user account configuration file
in: "~/.kde/share/congig" so each user's configuration should be saved if this
directory is writable.

--
JRT