List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] kde menus and icons lost after power failure
From:       Gavin Chester <gavin () ecosolutions ! com ! au>
Date:       2004-10-06 13:45:23

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 19:31, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 October 2004 04:07, magpie wrote:

I did as suggested by Perry and magpie, thanks for you help people.
However, deleting my .kde directory has worsened my problem because the
minimal residual menus I had have now disappeared to nothing more than
"Logout" up to "Run Command" - nothing above that at all.  Thanks
anyway, but I guess I'll change away from KDE or fix it by that upgrade
to FC2 that I planned.

> > > Thanks for your input, Perry.  Yes, I seem to have the question ignored
> > > in another forum I tried, too.  Don't think the problem is too hard -
> > > maybe it's too easy or people are too busy to answer ;-)
>
> Speaking for myself, I consider this common knowledge so I don't answer
> questions like that, there are enough other people that can help you with
> that as the reply by Sylviane & Perry White shows. I guess people are a bit
> shy at times or everyone is waiting for someone else to answer.

If you don't answer questions like mine, Waldo then why did even bother
to post a reply in the first place - except other than to put me down
for not having the same knowledge as you

Because it was not common knowledge to ME is the reason why I joined
this list to try and find an answer.  I had already googled and searched
the archives of this list but found nothing close.  If you re-read my
first posting you will see that I only asked to pointed in the right
direction to find the correct files - I wasn't asking to have my nose
wiped (even though I am a newbie of only around 18mths experience with
Linux).  Also, I have tried different window managers and desktops over
that time and am sorry if i don't have encyclopedic knowledge of KDE
specifics among my other experiences.

> The whole
> idea behind mailinglists like this one is that if you stick along a bit
> longer, you are able to answer to those questions that you once had yourself.

Thanks for the lesson. I have done just that and learned much from other
forums.  I have also been a frequent poster to some of those other
forums contributing back help to others wherever possible.  I don't find
your arrogance particularly helpful and wonder why you even bothered to
post a reply. Perhaps you can share how I would hope to glean the answer
to my immediate problem from a synthesis of unrelated postings read over
weeks of lurking?

> Also, if you find yourself answering the same question over and over again,
> then you may want to send the question and its answer to faq@kde.org for
> inclusion in the faq.
>
> > I don't know.... I have had a similar problem going back to KDE 3.2 and
> > have yet to find a solution. It came about soon after KDE changed its menu
> > structure.
>
> User-specific changes to the menu structure are now saved under ~/.config and
> user-specific application entries are stored under ~/.local

Regards, Gavin.

PS: Some snipping of the posting might have been warranted but I felt
that after being flamed by Waldo that the message should stay fairly
intact.