List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Problems with kppp in Fedora 2
From:       Bruce Stanley <bruce.stanley () prodigy ! net>
Date:       2004-07-27 0:18:22

Hummm.   I think it put the 'search yahoo.com, loacaldomain'  statement
in there way back
when I was using  Mandrake 7.2 as suggested by someone in the Mail list
a long time ago......
I have just been copying it from Mardrake -->  Suse 8.2 --> Redhat 9
--->  finally  Fedora 2.
Force of hobbit.... if it works, don't fix it!  But in this case it
wasn't working.

In the kpp settings:
   my 'DNS' tab settings were set to  'Domain name  is  localdomain'
and DNS IP address to 'Automatic',
   and my 'IP' tab setting is set to 'Dynamic IP address'.

I removed the 'search ...' statement' and did some more experimenting
and this is what I found:

      1).  If I use the 'Redhat > System Tools > Network Device
Control'  approach (which works)
             it puts the following statements in the   resolv.conf file :
                       nameserver 209.244.0.3
                       nameserver  209.244.0.4

             If I hard code these settings in the resolv.conf ,
everything works with kppp also.

        2).  My ISP however provides DNS settings of  198.83.19.241
and  198.83.19.244.
               If I enter these into the  kppp  'DNS  IP address' box,
kppp resolves address very fast
               (with the nameserver statements of 209.244.03  & 04 in
the resolv.conf file).
               If I then remove the 209.244  statements out of
resolv.conf,  things are still resolved
               correctly, but it takes a lot more time to do so.

So,  I guess my question now is,  why do I need both sets of DNS address
(198.83.19...  and  209.244.0....)  to get fast resolution of  URLs?