List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Problems with kppp in Fedora 2
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-07-26 6:19:35

Bruce Stanley wrote:
> I am having trouble with resolving Internet addresses (URLs) when using
> kppp.
> The kppp program connects with my ISP without any problems.
>
> The set up I have was working under Redhat 9 but  does not work
> under Fedora 2.
>
> Here is the contents of my  /etc/resolv.conf  file:
>
>   search yahoo.com, localdomain
>   nameserver 192.0.0.2
>
> My  /etc/hosts file has the following entries:
>
>   127.0.0.1    STAR-SERV    localhost.localdomain    localhost
>   192.0.0.2 desktop
>
> When  kppp is executed it changes the  /etc/resolv.conf file to :
>
>      domain   localdomain                            #kppp temp entry
>       #   search  yahoo.com, localdomain     #entry disabled by kppp
>       nameserver 192.0.0.2
>
> If on the other hand I use the Network Device Control program instead of
> kppp,
> everything works fine.
>
>    Redhat > System Tools > Network Device Control
>                Then activate  ppp0  yahoo_prodigy
>
>     Connections are fine and all URLs are resolved correctly.
>

> What changes are needed in Fedora 2 to make this work again with kppp?

Why do you have it set to 'search yahoo.com'?  ARGH!

I suggest that you remove the first line since:

	search localdomain

is the default and you don't need to enter it.

I presume that your have a network nameserver on address 192.0.0.2.

Your problem is that for some reason KPPP isn't automatically loading your ISP's
nameserver addresses.  Do you have the ISP's: "Domain name" set correctly in the
"DNS" tab in: "Accounts" section of the KPPP configure dialog? (click the:
"Edit" button).  And, on the same tab, do you have: "Automatic" checked in the
radio?

--
JRT