List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] what are crypto plug-ins?
From:       Trevor Smith <trevor () haligonian ! com>
Date:       2004-07-26 4:50:59

On July 26, 2004 1:39 am, Pollywog wrote:

> Try it with the plugin and then without and you will see the difference
> better than I can explain it.  The plugin takes the work out of it, all you
> do is download your mail and if you have the sender's key, Kmail verifies
> the sig without the extra work.

?? There was no extra work without the plugin that I was aware of. Kmail
verified all sigs that I had keys for. It also encrypted/decrypted seemlessly
just with GnuPG. (Not attachments though.)

> You can do that without the plugin, the plugin just makes it easier to
> encrypt messages and verify sigs.  Perhaps you have used Kgpg for
> encrypting and decrypting files from the file manager.   If you have used
> it for email, it requires you to copy and paste text.  The plugin saves you

Not at all. It's all built-in seemlessly in the current (and for the past
while) version of Kmail. No clipboard or copy/paste is ever required that I
have seen.

The only reason I bothered to try to figure out the plug-in thing was that
people were using it to sign messages and the built-in stuff can't handle
that. (In other words, the only reason I saw to use it was that other people
had been using it.)

> It is similar, but it is used for another type of signature.  I have not
> used SMIME yet.   You will occasionally receive emails that are signed that
> way.

Shit. I have to take a course on encryption to figure all this out. Maybe in
January.