List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] what are crypto plug-ins?
From:       Pollywog <linux-kde () shadypond ! com>
Date:       2004-07-26 2:58:04

On 07/26/2004 12:17 am, Trevor Smith wrote:
> On July 25, 2004 8:10 pm, Pollywog wrote:
> > You did not mention the distribution you are running, but in Debian, the
> > plugins are part of the "cryptplug" package.  Once you install that
> > package, you should be able to find them from Kmail's "Settings
> > >Configure Kmail > Security > Crypto Plugins" menu.
>
> Well, I'm still no closer to understanding what the crypto plugins are, and
> I'm still not able to turn them on, but at least you gave me a clue that
> helped me install them. I think.
>
> I'm running FC2. I did "yum install cryptplug" and yum apparently did what
> I wanted it to.
>
> Now, in Kmail's "Settings >Configure  Kmail > Security > Crypto Plugins"
> menu, I can create a new entry but there is no indication what such an
> entry is, what it should look like, etc. However, I still see only grayed
> out options when I select "modify" after creating a new entry in this page.

I forgot to tell you where to find the files.  On my Debian system, they are
in /usr/lib/cryptplug/

Specifically, the most important file is perhaps gpgme-openpgp.so

In Kmail's security/privacy settings, click "new" and in the "Name" box, put
anything you like, I called it OpenPGP.  In "Location", put the complete
pathname to the gpgme-openpgpg.so file and then click "apply" and OK and you
are done.  Now you should be able to seemlessly send and receive encrypted
messages if you have GnuPG set up.

BTW what is FC2, Fedora Core?  Doesn't that use the RedHat packaging system?
You can always find out where a package installed its files with the rpm
command, I believe it is "rpm -ql <packagename>"

8)