List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] what are crypto plug-ins?
From:       Trevor Smith <trevor () haligonian ! com>
Date:       2004-07-26 4:08:14

On July 25, 2004 11:58 pm, Pollywog wrote:

> I forgot to tell you where to find the files.  On my Debian system, they
> are in /usr/lib/cryptplug/
>
> Specifically, the most important file is perhaps gpgme-openpgp.so

ah! Thank you, that helped. Now it is working. Or, rather, it didn't at first,
but I searched some more, found you had to do this:

eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"

at a command line before starting kmail, THEN it worked. bizarre. (I've been
using Linux for about a year as my main OS but I've never seen that syntax
and have no idea what 'eval' is or what it's doing.)

> OK and you are done.  Now you should be able to seemlessly send and receive
> encrypted messages if you have GnuPG set up.

Yes, I am. However, one of my original questions remains: why would I want to
have gone through this? I could *already* seemlessly send and recieve
encrypted messages (and sign and verify signatures) with the "built-in" GnuPG
support. How is this different, aside from the obvious structural differences
of signatures, etc. being in different message parts? And why was it
developed, when GPG/PGP was already doing just the same thing?

Is it just to enable encrypting attachments? That's the only area I've ever
seen any software that uses GPG claiming it couldn't do. Or is it something
else like dealing with multi-part messages that the "old way" couldn't
handle?

> BTW what is FC2, Fedora Core?  Doesn't that use the RedHat packaging

Yes, FC2 = Fedora Core 2. It does use RPMs.

> system? You can always find out where a package installed its files with
> the rpm command, I believe it is "rpm -ql <packagename>"

neat, thanks! (Of course I still would have needed to know that the
gpgme-openpgp.so was the relevant file...)

Another question: what is the difference between gpgme-openpgp.so and
gpgme-smime.so? What would the latter do for me?