List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] KOnqueror and file-bindings
From:       mchristoph.eckert () t-online ! de (Christoph Eckert)
Date:       2003-11-29 20:35:15

Hi,

I'm using Linux and KDE on my Notebook. I do several tasks
with it, and I'm very pleased that Linux and KDE exist.

Unfortunately, I'm not glad with the file bindings of
konqueror. The main reason for this is, that konqueror as a
web browser always uses the same file bindings as konqueror
as a file manager.

* When I tell konqui to open jpg files with my favorite image
viewer, konqui also opens jpgs on web pages with the image
viewer.

* When I tell konqui to always open text files in my favorite
text editor, also text files on the web are opened with the
text editor instead showing them inline in konqui.

* When I try to assign my favorite HTML-editor to open local
html files, also on the web HTML pages are shown in the
editor but in line.

* When I try tho connect kpackage with rpm files, also
klicking rpm files on the web doesn't offer to download them
to disk but puts the rpm to the cache and then opens it in
kpackage. Worse, because many links to rpm files are not
direct links which one could right click and save as but
links to a script which then delivers the file, so save as
cannot be performed.

Further more, I do not like konqui to always show as many
files as possible inline but opening my favorite editor.
Clicking files like images, text, calendar - everything is
shown in line.

So, I have the following possibilities:

* Leaving the file bindings as they are delivered with KDE and
opening local files always using right click - open with.
Very unconvenient

* alternatively, open local files from a terminal using
$APPNAME $FILETOOPEN

* Changing the file bindings as I like to have them and then
never more using konqui as a web browser because of the
broken file bindings. Using mozilla instead. But I'd like to
use konqui also for browsing, not only as a file manager

* creating a second user and starting a second KDE session
only for web browsing. This is very unconvenient

So, how do you handle your local files? Are you pleased the
way KDE handles them, or would you also like to behave
konqueror web browser different as in file managing mode?

Please let me know what you think about this issue.

	Gruß / regards

				ce

======
Jabber: HomoSapientz@jabber.org