List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] KOnqueror and file-bindings
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-11-30 5:36:53

Christoph Eckert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Linux and KDE on my Notebook. I do several tasks
> with it, and I'm very pleased that Linux and KDE exist.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not glad with the file bindings of
> konqueror. The main reason for this is, that konqueror as a
> web browser always uses the same file bindings as konqueror
> as a file manager.
>
> * When I tell konqui to open jpg files with my favorite image
> viewer, konqui also opens jpgs on web pages with the image
> viewer.
>
> * When I tell konqui to always open text files in my favorite
> text editor, also text files on the web are opened with the
> text editor instead showing them inline in konqui.
>
> * When I try to assign my favorite HTML-editor to open local
> html files, also on the web HTML pages are shown in the
> editor but in line.

In general what you say is true and might be considered to be a bug.  A suggestion has
been made that Konqueror should be able to make a distinction as to whether or not the URL
started with: HTTP: or FTP:.  This is going at it the other way but it would accomplish
what you want.  I was supposed to write up a wish list item for this, and will try to
remember to cc you on it.  There is no urgency here because it isn't going to be in 3.2.

> * When I try tho connect kpackage with rpm files, also
> klicking rpm files on the web doesn't offer to download them
> to disk but puts the rpm to the cache and then opens it in
> kpackage. Worse, because many links to rpm files are not
> direct links which one could right click and save as but
> links to a script which then delivers the file, so save as
> cannot be performed.

On the other hand, this is a configuration problem.  The only way I know of to fix this is
to edit by hand: "$HOME/.kde/share/config/konqueorrc".  Look for the line:

	askSaveapplication/x-rpm=Yes

and delete it.  If it isn't there, something else is wrong.

--
JRT