List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Calendar/scheduling question
From:       Gene Heskett <gene_heskett () iolinc ! net>
Date:       2003-01-30 6:36:12

On Thursday 30 January 2003 01:01, David Reynolds wrote:
>I have need of a program which can run repeating events, and yet
> retain the ability to change individual events for time,
> location, etc, without changing them all. This would include
> deleting specific events if they get cancelled; all of this is
> something both Outlook and Lotus Notes have.
>
>The Qtopia (Sharp Zaurus) Datebook doesn't have this ability;
> neither does theKompany's calendar app, because it uses the same
> underlying XML structure. I found that Korganizer will run on the
> Zaurus, but it also seems to lack this ability in any functional
> manner, unless I'm missing something (you can delete an
> individual event, but not change the specifications of any of
> them). Is a later version of KOrganizer than 3.0 able to do this,
> or is it all a pipe dream on linux? Perhaps the OpenZaurus
> project can do this, I haven't checked with them yet...
>
>Regards,
>David

That sounds like a job for cron, which has only been around in one
form or another for what, 25 years?

Try a 'crontab -e' as the user you want the event(s) to run under.
You'll find you have just invoked a copy of vi, and the usual edit
functions of vi are all there and waiting for your scheduleing
pleasure.  The command line syntax for cron (vixie-cron these days)
is not well documented however without doing quite a bit of docs
excavation.  It was written back when every character was a penny's
worth of memory or disk space.  But it works, and works well.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M