List:       kde-linux
Subject:    RE: [kde-linux] Kmail from KDE 3.1rc6 and GPG
From:       "Christian Herzyk" <christian () systrade ! de>
Date:       2003-01-24 7:36:25

Hello Ingo,

> From: kde-linux-admin@mail.kde.org
> [mailto:kde-linux-admin@mail.kde.org]On Behalf Of Ingo Klöcker
>
> Christian Herzyk wrote:
> > I've got KDE 3.1rc6 installed on my Gentoo box. It works quite well so
> > far. The only prob I have is encrypting mails (just for the record: it
> > worked fine in Kde 3.0.x).
> > The status so far is that I followed the hints from the kmail.kde.org
> > Website and from the Gentoo newsletter.
> > That is I got all the aegypten packages installed and kmail is setup
> > correctly as fas as I know.
> > After some messing around I can encrypt and decrypt with kgpg or gpg
> > directly, that is my keys are correct.
> >
> > The problem is that it doesn't work with kmail. When I try to encrypt
> > a mail my passphrase is rejected.
>
> Which passphrase dialog comes up? The one from KMail? Or one of the
> pinentry-* programs?

The KMail one (I think). By the way, I am using pinentry-gtk as, at least in
Gentoo, pinentry-qt seems to be broken.

> Did you start gpg-agent before KMail? Have you made sure that KMail sees
> the environment variable that is created by running
>   eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)" ?

I got that in my x startup script and checked it manually.

> The symptoms you describe indicate that KMail doesn't see this
> environment variable.

Mhh, I am not sure now (not at home) but in the howto on the kde site they
say something about GNUPG_AGENT_INFO and if I remember correctly my
gpg-agante sets a variable called GPG_AGENT_INFO. Could this be the problem
and only KMail (but not eg kgpg) is affected?

> BTW, please note that only the latest cvs version of pinentry-qt works.
> If you don't want to get the cvs version then you have to use
> pinentry-gtk for now.

See my note above.

Thanks for the help so far.

Christian