List:       kde-linux
Subject:    RE: [kde-linux] Kmail from KDE 3.1rc6 and GPG
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-15?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-01-24 9:14:58

Christian Herzyk wrote:
> Hello Ingo,
>
>> From: kde-linux-admin@mail.kde.org
>> [mailto:kde-linux-admin@mail.kde.org]On Behalf Of Ingo Klöcker
>>
>> Christian Herzyk wrote:
>> > I've got KDE 3.1rc6 installed on my Gentoo box. It works quite well
>> > so far. The only prob I have is encrypting mails (just for the
>> > record: it worked fine in Kde 3.0.x).
>> > The status so far is that I followed the hints from the
>> > kmail.kde.org Website and from the Gentoo newsletter.
>> > That is I got all the aegypten packages installed and kmail is
>> > setup correctly as fas as I know.
>> > After some messing around I can encrypt and decrypt with kgpg or
>> > gpg directly, that is my keys are correct.
>> >
>> > The problem is that it doesn't work with kmail. When I try to
>> > encrypt a mail my passphrase is rejected.
>>
>> Which passphrase dialog comes up? The one from KMail? Or one of the
>> pinentry-* programs?
>
> The KMail one (I think). By the way, I am using pinentry-gtk as, at
> least in Gentoo, pinentry-qt seems to be broken.

If KMail's passphrase dialog comes up then KMail doesn't see the
GPG_AGENT_INFO environment variable.

>> Did you start gpg-agent before KMail? Have you made sure that KMail
>> sees the environment variable that is created by running
>>   eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)" ?
>
> I got that in my x startup script and checked it manually.
>
>> The symptoms you describe indicate that KMail doesn't see this
>> environment variable.
>
> Mhh, I am not sure now (not at home) but in the howto on the kde site
> they say something about GNUPG_AGENT_INFO and if I remember correctly
> my gpg-agante sets a variable called GPG_AGENT_INFO.

The howto has obviously a bug. KMail looks for GPG_AGENT_INFO.

> Could this be the
> problem and only KMail (but not eg kgpg) is affected?

No. I and many other people are using KMail with gpg-agent. Try if
manually starting gpg-agent and then KMail from Konsole works.

Regards,
Ingo