List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] No kio_audiocd nor kio_help when not root!
From:       Andrew Kar <akar3d () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2002-10-30 6:38:47

On Wednesday 30 October 2002 07:40, Guy Zelck wrote:

> I did not have to! The rpms take care of that. Read on ...

No they don't at all.

> >The first thing you need to do is rename/remove the
> >home/USERNAME//.kde(1)(2)(3)  folder and let kde generate a new one when
> >starts.
>
> This is the directory used by kde2 under Mandrake.

It is the directory used by all KDE's. Some distros added a 1 or 2 or 3 so
that you can have multiversion systems without conflict. You just add a
figure to the relevant line in startkde script. If you are only using one
version just make sure kde3 is not using the settings file from kde2
whatever it was called because they dont upgrade properly.

> >Best just get rid of kde2 and rename your /.kde folders because the
> > settings are not compatible even though it was supposed to be fixed. If
> > you want a dual system then make startkde3 set your home kde folder as
> > /.kde3
>
> Like I said, it was taken care of. Just for completeness I moved .kde
> aside so no confusion would be possible. I logged out completely and back
> in to KDE3 but no change. Still that rotten failure. I then removed .kde3
> and let KDE3 create that anew. Still the same fuckin' problem. I'm

Well you need to be clearer. Most people would (unsurprisingly) take "when
comparing e.g. /opt/kde3/lib/kde3 files with their counterparts from kde2
which I still have. In KDE2 things work." as meaning that you still have
kde2 installed and working.

You need to make up your mind about whether you having a working kde2 as
well as kde3 or not because this has a bearing (not to mention library and
path conflicts). I have lost track of the number of people running a kde3
desktop with kde2 apps because the paths are different for root than for a
user acct.

Usually the faults you describe mean that libxml,libxslt and lame libs are
not installed. But if it works for root then it could be a path related or
lib loading issue. It still does not make sense though if it works for root
but not a user.

Mdk rpms DO NOT set up a proper dual system. All they have done is install
kde3 into a different location. As a matter of fact it is almost impossible
to set up a non-conflicting dual system on RH and Mdk because they install
kde2 into /usr. They apparently only changed the location for old distros.
Current ones install to /usr. Luckily with the version change for both qt
and kde they more or less can run independently but the only reliable way
is to REMOVE kde2 first.

Finally this has nothing to do with compilation or else it would not work
for root. Your system has become corrupted in some way and the best thing
to do is to remove ALL kde2 and kde3 and then install kde3 properly, not as
an upgrade.  As a final thought, you are on a public list so watch your
mouth, expressive comments are OK, 'shit' and 'fuckin' are not and the
constant use of is grounds for being turfed. I appreciate that may be the
way you and your friends always talk but this is not the schoolyard and
some people WILL be offended. I just came to someones defense the other day
who was flamed for using the word 'damn' but in hindsight perhaps I am
wrong because if you give an inch people take a mile.

andrew