On Wednesday 30 October 2002 07:40, Guy Zelck wrote: > I did not have to! The rpms take care of that. Read on ... No they don't at all. > > >The first thing you need to do is rename/remove the > >home/USERNAME//.kde(1)(2)(3) folder and let kde generate a new one when > >starts. > > This is the directory used by kde2 under Mandrake. It is the directory used by all KDE's. Some distros added a 1 or 2 or 3 so= =20 that you can have multiversion systems without conflict. You just add a=20 figure to the relevant line in startkde script. If you are only using one=20 version just make sure kde3 is not using the settings file from kde2=20 whatever it was called because they dont upgrade properly. > >Best just get rid of kde2 and rename your /.kde folders because the > > settings are not compatible even though it was supposed to be fixed. If > > you want a dual system then make startkde3 set your home kde folder as > > /.kde3 > > Like I said, it was taken care of. Just for completeness I moved .kde > aside so no confusion would be possible. I logged out completely and back > in to KDE3 but no change. Still that rotten failure. I then removed .kde3 > and let KDE3 create that anew. Still the same fuckin' problem. I'm Well you need to be clearer. Most people would (unsurprisingly) take "when= =20 comparing e.g. /opt/kde3/lib/kde3 files with their counterparts from kde2=20 which I still have. In KDE2 things work." as meaning that you still have=20 kde2 installed and working. You need to make up your mind about whether you having a working kde2 as=20 well as kde3 or not because this has a bearing (not to mention library and= =20 path conflicts). I have lost track of the number of people running a kde3=20 desktop with kde2 apps because the paths are different for root than for a= =20 user acct. Usually the faults you describe mean that libxml,libxslt and lame libs are= =20 not installed. But if it works for root then it could be a path related or= =20 lib loading issue. It still does not make sense though if it works for root= =20 but not a user. Mdk rpms DO NOT set up a proper dual system. All they have done is install= =20 kde3 into a different location. As a matter of fact it is almost impossible= =20 to set up a non-conflicting dual system on RH and Mdk because they install= =20 kde2 into /usr. They apparently only changed the location for old distros.= =20 Current ones install to /usr. Luckily with the version change for both qt=20 and kde they more or less can run independently but the only reliable way=20 is to REMOVE kde2 first. =46inally this has nothing to do with compilation or else it would not work= =20 for root. Your system has become corrupted in some way and the best thing=20 to do is to remove ALL kde2 and kde3 and then install kde3 properly, not as= =20 an upgrade. As a final thought, you are on a public list so watch your=20 mouth, expressive comments are OK, 'shit' and 'fuckin' are not and the=20 constant use of is grounds for being turfed. I appreciate that may be the=20 way you and your friends always talk but this is not the schoolyard and=20 some people WILL be offended. I just came to someones defense the other day= =20 who was flamed for using the word 'damn' but in hindsight perhaps I am=20 wrong because if you give an inch people take a mile. andrew > > > > ___________________________________________________ > This message is from the kde-linux mailing list. > Account management: http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-linux. > Archives: http://lists.kde.org/. > More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html. ___________________________________________________ This message is from the kde-linux mailing list. Account management: http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-linux. Archives: http://lists.kde.org/. More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.