List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] No kio_audiocd nor kio_help when not root!
From:       Guy Zelck <gzelck () tiscalinet ! be>
Date:       2002-10-29 20:40:00

Andrew,

> Most likely because you did not set up a dual mode kde2/3 system correctly.
> Even if you dont want a dual mode system you have to set it up if you want
> to keep your kde2 stuff.
I did not have to! The rpms take care of that. Read on ...

> The first thing you need to do is rename/remove the
> home/USERNAME//.kde(1)(2)(3)  folder and let kde generate a new one when
> starts.
This is the directory used by kde2 under Mandrake.

> Look in /etc/profile.d for a kde.sh file. Since you didn't remove kde2 it is
> setting your paths and KDE variables incorrectly. the same applies to qt.
Impossible since there's no such file (maybe the rpm install removed it), so no \
confusion possible. What is there is a kde3.sh which prepends $KDEDIR/bin to the \
contents of PATH, like it should. I added vars KDEDIR & QTDIR in there as well. It \
didn't matter shit.

> Best just get rid of kde2 and rename your /.kde folders because the settings
> are not compatible even though it was supposed to be fixed. If you want a
> dual system then make startkde3 set your home kde folder as /.kde3
Like I said, it was taken care of. Just for completeness I moved .kde aside so no \
confusion would be possible. I logged out completely and back in to KDE3 but no \
change. Still that rotten failure. I then removed .kde3 and let KDE3 create that \
anew. Still the same fuckin' problem. I'm beginning to think sth. went wrong during \
compilation (these are the kde3.0.4 rpms for Mandrake). On the other hand I didn't \
see anyone else complain about this. Maybe they're not aware still. Can anyone else \
using these same rpms confirm things work for them?

Cheers,
Guy.