List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] RE: Kdm Background
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-10-28 23:52:46

Greg Walker wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have experienced the same problems getting the background to display. I am
> running Debian 3.0 woody and compiled kde 3.0.4 and also kde 3.1beta2 from
> source. Once I had removed all the kde 2.2 packages and compiled 3.0.4 I too
> noticed the kdm background had gone. Setting it as root, logging out,
> restarting X I still cant get the kdmdesktop jpg to display, setting the
> background as a colour with a gradient works fine but I just cannot get the
> wallpaper to display. Making manual changes to kdmrc has no effect. I have
> even set Xsetup to call kdmdesktop but the wallpaper still does not display.

The background settings for KDM appear to be under development.  I think
that it doesn't work in 3.0.4 and you can't set it in 3.0.8 except by
editing the (new) file: "backgroundrc" which should be in the same
directory as: "kdmrc".  This will vary with the exact build that you have.

If you have RedHat, you can put something like this in: "Xsetup" &/|
"startkde":

/usr/bin/xsri --emblem=/usr/kde3/share/wallpapers/tux.png
--color=#1E72A0 --color2=#C0C0C0

{all one line}

Other distros probably have a different command or perhaps: "xsetroot"
will work.  It doesn't work for me.

--
JRT