List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: QT Designer _NOT_ under QPL.
From:       Joseph Carter <knghtbrd () debian ! org>
Date:       2000-08-20 23:17:16

On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 09:49:56PM -0400, Kevin Forge wrote:
> > I don't know of any problems with the GPL wrt use for libraries.
> > Why is it different than for applications?
>
> The GPL dose not govern use.  Dynamically linking to a library is using
> it rather than deriving from it.  This caries some waste when you
> realize
> that being linked to is the sole purpose of a library.

Header files and dynamic object data?  Unless you claim that headers fall
outside the scope of Copyright.  I don't believe they do.  (And Troll Tech
certainly didn't when they went after Harmony for using their headers -
and rightly so IMO as Harmony had no rights to those header files.)

* Endy needs to consult coffee :P
<Endy> coffee the bot person, not coffee the beverage :)
<knghtbrd> consulting the beverage may help too  =>