List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: QT Designer _NOT_ under QPL.
From:       Joseph Carter <knghtbrd () debian ! org>
Date:       2000-08-20 23:32:20

On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 02:42:48PM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> > Under the current QPL, it is explictly stated that *everything* supplied
> > by Troll Tech for Qt packages must be included.
>
>  2. You may copy and distribute the Software in unmodified form
>  provided that the entire package, including - but not restricted
>  to - copyright, trademark notices and disclaimers, as released
>  by the initial developer of the Software, is distributed.
>
> Where do they define `package' as all binaries that can be
> generated by the source?  I don't see it.

I do.

Sucks too because this may well end Qt's life in Debian if there are no
changes to the current QPL.  I hate to say it, but it looks like he's
right though.  If the QPL and GPL are both left as they are and Qt 2.2 is
released as such Debian will be in the unfortunate position of having to
choose between violating the QPL or the GPL, seeking additional written
permission (which from the sounds of it on this list will likely be
granted as soon as KDE grants similar permission) or simply leave the
version of Qt in Debian at 2.1 - there's nothing in the QPL that would
force us to upgrade.  Of course, there would IMO be no reason to keep 2.1
since it will quickly go the way of the dinosaurs, but it is the only
option we'd have besides simply pulling all traces of Qt from Debian.

It sucks, but as things are now it's all we can do.  Of course, the next
move isn't ours to make.

<Knghtbrd> RoboHak - okay, the patch isn't broken, but my brain
           apparently is
<wc> that's nothing new (;
<Knghtbrd> wc - hush.
<Knghtbrd> =>