List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: KDE vs. Debian GPL-statements (Fwd: Re: proposal of a paragraph
From:       Forge <forge () myrealbox ! com>
Date:       2000-06-21 23:01:17

Irwin Kwan wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Timothy R. Butler wrote:
>
> > Bruce, Bruce, Bruce. Haven't you read Richard Stallman's writings enough to
> > know that public domain software really doesn't promote freedom, but
> > actually takes it away? Sheesh. ;-) Seriously, I think I'd just stick with
> > the GPL, it's time tested, well recognized, and protects your intellectual
> > property from others making it proprietary against your will.
>
> It still begs the question... what if I wanted, for instance, to
> build a KDE frontend to my initially pure-GNU application?  From what
> I know, GNU programs cannot be linked with QT programs.  :|  I'm
> still struggling to understand this whole 'license war' (because it
> really is a war).  It's sort of silly.
>
> Has ANYONE ever been brought to court over software licenses before,
> BTW?
>
> (Side note: if this is too off-topic for a KDE list please inform
> me.  This topic is probably akin to me handing out flamethrowers to
> everyone on the list.)

Yes it is and should be discussed on kde-licensing@kde.org

Yes people have gone to court over software licenses with
mixed results.  I.e. The disclaimer of warranty has been
held up in a case where someone lost U$9,000,000 because
of a miscalculation be a shrink-wrapped package.

Public Domain is the only popular license that doesn't
have that disclaimer so you would have had to find $9M
plus interest plus legal fees plus other court assessed
damages.

This is why the only sane people to releas anything under
PD is the US government ( AFAIK )