List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Your posting on www.slashdot.org.
From:       Joseph Carter <knghtbrd () debian ! org>
Date:       2000-06-20 8:11:21

On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 05:37:05PM -0700, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> My request send to Mr Carter should be seen in this light. It is in the best
> interest of Mr Carter's own credibility that he stays to facts and voices his
> opinions as just that: his opinions.

I demonstrated a license violation quite clearly.  I could do so several
more times.  What these license violations amount to is not a matter of
opinion.

> I have no problem with Mr Carter, or Debian for that matter, pursuing their
> own political agenda as long as it is clear what this agenda is. I think that
> that is in the interest of all involved parties. We actually might discover
> some common grounds then.

My "agenda", in neat bite-size pieces:

	- To see an end to GPL violations within the KDE project, to the
	  benefit of all (and so I don't have to hear about it anymore..)
	- To see KDE in Debian main

If that is completely self-serving, bad for KDE, or bad for Debian, then
something is wrong here.  There is another item on my little agenda which
is of very personal interest for me:

	- To have Qt happily co-exist with code written under the GPL
	  so that my own code may be used with Qt without extra permission
	  or preventing me from incorporating 3rd party code into my
	  applications.

That's even less likely I fear, even though that alone would almost
completely resolve the other issues instantly and is also in the best
interests of anyone who wants to write code that uses Qt under the GPL.

I believe I have written all of this many many times before.  There it is
again, take it how you will.

I am dyslexic of Borg.  Prepare to have your ass laminated.