List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Your posting on www.slashdot.org.
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-06-19 23:09:40

Dear David,

I understand your concern about my e-mail to Mr Carter (knghtbrd@debian.org).
However I don't like to be described as criminal. I think I was still very
polite. I didn't even use the word "fuck". Mr Carter expressed in the
past to be very concerned about being sued so I think my request to him was
appropriate. Mr Carter seems to be one of the few Debian people who are
actually capable of making a coherent statement on this issue, it is therefor
sad when Mr Carter gets carried away in overly broad and offending statements
and brings his opinions as if these opinions are established facts, which
they are not.

Mr Carter self-appointed role in what he refers to as "licensing issues"
serves primarily his own agenda. Mr Carter does not use KDE, has no intention
do so in the future and does, to my knowledge, not own any code that is part
of KDE. This alone doesn't disqualify Mr Carter's opinions though. This
changes when Mr Carter starts to engage in FUD spreading. By doing that it
starts to be very hard to believe Mr Carter when he says that his proposals
are intented to "help" KDE.

My request send to Mr Carter should be seen in this light. It is in the best
interest of Mr Carter's own credibility that he stays to facts and voices his
opinions as just that: his opinions.

I have no problem with Mr Carter, or Debian for that matter, pursuing their
own political agenda as long as it is clear what this agenda is. I think that
that is in the interest of all involved parties. We actually might discover
some common grounds then.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Make way, KDE/Linux is coming to a desktop near you!