List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Qt Free Edition License vs. XFree License
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       1998-12-13 22:39:09

Raul Miller wrote:

> Andreas Pour <pour@mieterra.com> wrote:
> > Can somone tell me what I have missed?
>
> I don't know if you "missed" this, as you define "missed" but I've not
> yet figured you how you managed to gloss over it:
>
>     But when you distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is
>     a work based on the Program, the distribution of the whole must be
>     on the terms of this License, whose permissions for other licensees
>     extend to the entire whole, and thus to each and every part regardless
>     of who wrote it.
>
> Here, "the same sections" would refer to X or Qt or some other such code
> which is used to create a program (such as xmcd or kscd).

I've not glossed over it, I have through detailed analysis concluded that the
only "terms of this License" that apply to the complete source code are (a)
distribute full source code to everything, including the X or Qt part (which
but for that sentence you might not be obligated to do), and (b) do not
charge for further redistribution, including of the X or Qt part (which
otherwise might be able to do).  If this means something more -- for example,
that the entire whole (including, say, Xlibs) has to be licensed under
the GPL, then you can't distribute GPL code linked with X libs, either, since
the X libs are licensed under XFree and you cannot license them under the
GPL.

Regards,

Andreas Pour
pour@mieterra.com