List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: [kde] Re: The KDE Free Qt Foundation
From:       Kevin Forge <forgeltd () usa ! net>
Date:       1998-04-09 18:16:58

fractture wrote:

> Actually, KDE is free....and the developers are going off of donations.
> But like I said, if KDE is going to be any kind of standard (which I
> don't think it will be because of this and other things) then I am
> rather worried, because
> in order for me to put food on my table, is to pay the 1200 for the Qt
> licence...but what if all I want is a few $$ for food or maybe a new HD?
>  Qt would be a poor choice for something like that...but the only one
> for KDE integration.  So instead I would HAVE to go full commercial.

No offense but any software that cannot sell >200 copies at $12 a pop is
not good enough to be sold.  I respect Troll Tech because I understand
the
view.  You don't.
Let me tell you about myself.  I repair computers ( mostly hardware
probs
and broken windows ).  I have a list of free customers ( like the
schools
I attended ).  These customers do not make money off the computers they
use but provide a service to other for free or close to it.
As such I require that they provide transportation to take me to the
site
or bring the computers to me.  I also sell them replacement parts at a
deeply discounted rate.  My for pay customers subsidize this business
practice by paying regular fees to get stuff fixed plus full price for
parts.  The free customers help me by spreading rumors about my "skill".
Do you see how this is similar to what Troll Tech dose ?

> I think Harmony would be a good step, though I don't see any reason to
> all out clone Qt, just what we need to write Kapps.

I agree ... This is already being done, check out GNOME.  Those goys
are adjusting GTK so that it's apps will integrate with KDE.  I.e.
global color schemes can be implemented in both ... they just use
different approaches to the same problem.  GNOME is moving towards
making
both toolkits use the same standard signals ( not a big deal as far as
programing headaches go since KDE is mostly well documented.

--
A computer without Windows 95 and Internet Explorer is like
a piece of chocolate cake without Catsup and Mustard.