List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Re: FreeQt concerns
From:       Joel Dillon <emily () cornholio ! new ! ox ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1998-04-09 13:31:13

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Eirik Eng wrote:

> >   What concept? Signal/slot? They grabbed the idea from someone else too.
>
> I invented the signal/slot concept together with Haavard Nord in 1991. If
> someone else did it before us we were not aware of it.

  Hmm. Ok. But the idea is not unique to Trolltech. Take a look at the
references to the paper at http://www.cs.tut.fi/~p150650/gtk/signals.html.
(I'm thinking of the Design Patterns reference). Also, the java 1.1 event
model, with its event producers and listenes, does much the same thing.
The point I'm making is that credit for the basic feature of signal/slot -
having a class call methods on 0 or more other classes without knowing
which ones it's calling at compile time - can't be ascribed solely to Qt.
Hence there is nothing immoral (as was previously asserted) about Harmony
using thing signal/slot idea.

	Jo