List:       kde
Subject:    [kde] Re: The KDE Free Qt Foundation
From:       Fester Zigterman <fzr () dds ! nl>
Date:       1998-04-09 23:07:29

On Thu, 09 Apr 1998, Kevin Forge wrote:

>> The problem I see with that is that for people who want to release cheapware, or
>> even sharware...need to pay $1200 to get the licence so Qt will never be a good
>> choice for that.  It should be considered to make a 'KDE-compatable' library kit
>> that can be used to create KDE apps that can be sold cheap.
>> For the major comercial entities, Qt is not that expensive, but for people that
>> work alone, making cheap software, it is way out of range.
>>
>So ?
>Why should Troll Tech run a charity for the upliftment of
>underprivileged
 businessmen ?

>And how do they eat if they do ?  I have read your posts and have come
>to the conclusion that you are as much a programer as I am.
>Except I have read enough about programing to know that while certain
>things are easier to do with certain tools there are multiple tools for
>just about every job.

Let's list what we want now:

* a freely availlable QT for free KDE projects
	- covered by the Free QT licence

* a guarantee that QT will remain availlable and in development
	- covered by the KDE Free QT Foundation

* a commercially usable KDE / QT
	- buy QT from Troll which is ok for large projects.

* a QT licence for KDE cheap and share ware.
	- Not Availlable. As a result KDE apps in this category will not be
	   produced.  Maybe TT can be convinced to release _yet_ another licence
	   to cover this.

The question now is, are these conditions sufficient to support the KDE
environment in the long run ?
I think the only problem is, that TT has "monopoly" where KDE apps are
concerned. You cannot make a KDE app using GTK for instance.

We need  to make basic KDE functions availlable in a non-QT KDE lib, so it can
be used with GTK and still conform to KDE config and colors.

Fester