List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Re: FreeQt concerns
From:       Alan Cox <alan () cymru ! net>
Date:       1998-04-05 15:01:32

> stuff.  I am willing to bet that RedHat makes more money off Commercial
> Software than free Software ... Even with Linux as the Primary
> product.

I wouldnt know. I do know UK and US CD vendors who sell nothing but free
software and don't have any other software business lines and they can
turn a profit.

> How MUCH money dos Cygnos make ?  Do the do it by selling a GPLd
> Library ?

They make most of it on support.

> The Problem with Motif is that it had a Per user License.  QT dose not.
> It's strictly a developers bill.  $ 1,500 per developer and and $0 per
> user means that QT is cheaper for anybody selling >10 copies of a
> commercial

For a small vendor it means I can pay perhaps $2000 for the priviledge
of using KDE or $0 for the priviledge of using Gtk/Lesstif/etc. And its
also $0 for MS Windows development.

> My question is ; Since we all know that an LGPLd FreeQT would destroy
> Troll Tech's income while a GPLd FreeQT would not What do we loose by
> making FreeQT a strictly GPL product rather than LGPL ?

I don't think a FreeQT would materially harm Troll at all. They get a
slightly smaller share in a much bigger pie.

Alan