List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Re: FreeQt concerns
From:       Joel Dillon <emily () cornholio ! new ! ox ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1998-04-05 17:01:27

> You are obviously unaware of the facts.  If QT were to get a new license
> ( worst case scenario is a Motif Like license ) it would mean a lot of
> money
> for Troll Tech, but only if KDE was a defacto standard and EVERYBODY is
> using it.  That would take a hell of a lot longer than 1 year to happen.

  Don't be too sure ;)

> > Moreover, they are  the cause of the gnome/kde  split. This a terrible
> > waste of human resources.
> >
> QT is not "the reason" for the GNOME/KDE split.  The reson for that
> "split" is that Right now The GTK Libs are STILL broken.  It takes a

  Nope. Gtk works fine. Gnome can be a pain to compile.

> serius Haker to compile a GNOME desktop ( I can't do it and I have
> tryied ).  The KDE people were left with the choice of waiting a cople
> years before they culd get started or using what they had at the time.
> They chose the Later and Less than 2 years later KDE is ready to go
> gold.

  This is of course the argument for choosing Qt - it was the best
available at the time. And it's probably true; there were no other
high-quality free widget sets at the time.

> You seem to forget that KDE has not afected the development of GNOME
> In fact I think GNOME is farther along now because of the "KDE threat"
> than it wold be if KDE did not exist.

  If KDE were GPL'able then most people wouldn't be working on Gnome
and we'd have a unified desktop, as opposed to the current split
between two desktop environments.