List:       kde-kuml-devel
Subject:    Re: File format
From:       Jake Fear <fear1 () home ! com>
Date:       1999-11-26 22:59:22

Hi,
> If all diagrams would be stored sequently in one file wouldn't it become
> harder to write back a single diagram into the file. The position of the old
> diagram must be found and the data removed. Than the new one must be pasted
> into the old position.
Good point, it is probably much better to store all diagrams in sepperate
files.  If it ever became needed we could just define a "toplevel" file that
holds references (by filename I guess) to all repositories and diagrams in use
for a particular "project."

>>I suppose each diagram could hold the file  name of the repository that it is
>>using, but then we will have cases that are not consistent.  If class X is
>>deleted while using diagram Y, and diagram Z is not open and refers to X we
>>must do some fairly complicated consistency checks when loading diagrams.
>If diagram Z will be opened after a common used class has been deleted wouldn't
>be it enough to check while loading whether all drawing items have a
>corresponding data object in the repository ? If no, the drawing items can be
>removed from the diagram.

Yes, I think this is basically what ROSE does as well.  All diagrams are stored
together in ROSE, but the idea is very similar.  If you delete a class from
the repository, then all diagrams are affected by removing the references to
the deleted class and all associations that are directly affected.

--
Jake Fear