List:       kde-kuml-devel
Subject:    Re: File format
From:       Sebastien BROCHET <sebastien.brochet () tecsi ! com>
Date:       1999-11-26 14:08:39

Joerg Habenicht wrote:
> If it's really that easy, than store it right now in XMI.
> Only if it doesn't fit your needs, use your own filestructur and export
> the XMI
>
> Personally I would like to be able to share my ideas with other
> developers, which is solved best when storing all relevant information
> for ONE project in ONE file. (I think everyone had something similar in
> mind)
> That gives the advantage to mail/post/... my project around the world.
XMI was exactly designed for that: exchange, whatever the CASE-tool.

This means that either the native format is XMI or it can be exported as
XMI.

I don't think XMI is the most suitable format for UML data _storage_
because it wasn't designed for as such.
And ONE project in ONE file is far from being suitable for data sharing
and workgroup design.

The CASE tools I know failed in this last area, the data are often
file-based and then the sharing granularity is big (one sub-package
f.e).
What I would like is :
- Architecture design re-use.
- A team of architects being able to work on the same project design
concurrently.

It is no more file format in this case but data format or data access
interface.
--

/Sebastien