List:       kde-java
Subject:    Re: [Kde-java] Qt bindings hang with gcj
From:       Richard Dale <Richard_Dale () tipitina ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-08-22 4:24:13

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Thomas Kuhn wrote:
> I just compiled the qt bindings for java from kdebindings with gcj. Compiling
> of the native part and linking worked after two minor changes (2x include
> <stdio.h> added and two typecasts, and defining tree constants in gjc's
> jni.h) - I don't think that broke anyting. Compiling the java source files
> worked without problems. But when I try to run the examples they don't behave
> correctly.
Interesting! Well, I'll commit the changes to the cvs if we can get it
working...

> For example the Signalforwarder hangs (no repaints etc, window shows up with
> button inside but the button won't be repainted when I move the window uout
> of the screen and back etc). I have recompiled a qt 2.3.1 for gcc3,
> Scribblewindow hangs when unchanged, when I comment everything out except the
> main method it works (showing an empty window). I think something with signal
> / slots goes wrong...
Signals/slots and event handling both depend on reflection, and it sounds as
though it isn't working properly with gcj (see
qtjava/javalib/org/kde/qt/Invocation.java for the code). Is there some sort of
'--enable-reflection' compile flag? The runtime uses reflection to check
whether or not a java instance has an event handler method for the current
event. If it finds an event handler it will call it. But gcj thinks there are
never any event handlers implemented, and so no events ever get through to the
java code.

> When I just compile the java files that come with qtjava and use the
> precompiled binary native library (with the qt binary that comes with kde2.2)
> exactly the same error occours.
So it still goes wrong when you are running Invocation.class, as well as when
it is compiled to native code?

-- Richard