List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: poxml docs
From:       Claudiu Costin <claudiuc () work ! ro>
Date:       2001-04-06 7:01:08

                Hello friends,

On Thu 05 Apr 2001 17:26, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've changed the script, so it puts documentation that is
> completly translated (aka no fuzzy and no untranslated entry)
> is put back into CVS (I gave up the idea that the PO2XML step
> could be done transparently in the help setup fast enough).
>
> But I would suggest that the teams put more emphasis on porting
> to po files. There are some bigger changes in the documentation
> ahead and you better see a fuzzy entry than an outdated document
> translation :)
   Yes, you're right. As you may remember, I was a fervent anti-DOCBOOK2PO
issue. Now I've changed my mind. Still I know is very hard to
track changes entry by entry with Kbabel (I mean contextual translation
where current paragraph continue an idea from precedent one and you
have to switch back and forward instead to move your eyes up and down
like in normal, text editor based translation).
It is good with strings
for about 3-4 lines. More than that will make your eyes tired to
look whats changed between a block of 20 lines. I have enough
unpleased experience with some PO's (even Kbabel in early stage
when "Whats This" help was criminaly long). Somehow GUI must
cleverly changed to make translation more comfortably.
   Anyway idea with documentation PO's is far more good aproach
than scaning 100K of docbook to track changes.

  So, back to problem. If this moving is comming then I need some
ideas to what stats to include in my new (unborn) app on i18n.kde.org
which will make documentation statistics (PO based). Of course
the old one will be removed and automaticaly PO statistics will
benefit from this .It a promise that I not finished it, after I
worked at home almost 60% from it (was writed in Perl). Now, PO
stats will be in PHP, MySQL enabled, so we can browse in history
and make beautifull graphs :).

> The other reason to enforce it, is that the old docs are SGML,
> while shortly only XML will be supported.
>
> Greetings, Stephan

P.S. Don't forget! I want:
    * ideas
    * directory structure, where PO's are stored
    * is one PO per documentation or one PO per docbook file (e.g when are docbook included
      in one index.docbook) ?
    * gave me a tar.gz with a docbook PO's snapshots which I can use it
      for my doc stats app.
    * anything you consider usefull for me :)

kind regards,
--
Claudiu Costin
<claudiuc@work.ro>