List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KDE_2_0_BRANCH: kdelibs/khtml/rendering
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-10-21 21:10:07

On Saturday 21 October 2000 20:59, Thomas Diehl wrote :
>On Sat, 21 Oct 2000 22:26:03 +0200, Francois-Xavier Duranceau wrote:
>
>>Andreas Pour wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> If I can weigh in on the release discussion.  I think it would be better
>>> not to delay branch forking/releasing b/c of translation issues.  I
>>> would prefer a model similar to what is going on with the KDE 2.0
>>> branching -- the basic system (English only) is stablized and released.
>>> OK, not everyone in the world can use this release, but many people can
>>> -- most importantly, people who are most likely to develop for it and/or
>>> to make useful bug reports -- developer types -- are quite likely to
>>> speak English.  Then the translators have several weeks to translate it,
>>> at which time serious bug fixes are made to it.  After this period it
>>> becomes the "full" release.

I think this is sensible - it's exactly what we're currently doing with
the 2.0.1 branch.

>>Hmmm I doubt this is a good approach. If we start translating too late
>>we (the translaters) will find out the i18n related bugs too late. We
>>fixed numerous bugs during the last months while translating and testing
>>the translations. If you never did any translation you can't have a good
>>view of how the translation process should go. But your proposal may be
>>fine for the smaller teams which are not able to translate evrything
>>before the release.

Having a "second, fully translated release", doesn't mean that the translation
effort has to start after the "first, not fully translated release". It should start before,
to detect problems in the code, indeed.

>OTOH: Starting too early with translations will result in an incredible
>waste of resources -- translating strings over and over that become
>obsolete in the developing and debugging process. I guess we all made
>this experience this time and could do without another experience of
>the same sort.

Yes, I think that's why it's ok that currently translators concentrate on
the 2.0.1 branch, and not yet on HEAD, since the messages will/might
change there.

>It's a matter of course, however, that we need enough time for
>translation and that there must be a chance to fix the bugs that are
>discovered during the translation process (while keeping the number
>of new strings introduced by other development moves at the absolute
>minimum).

Yes.

And for this to work, the translation work should finish rather quickly,
otherwise it will delay its own release (2.0.1) but also the next one (2.1).
We can't release 2.1 before 2.0.1, and better have it translated :-)

>>I strongly warn against any decision made without the agreement of the
>>i18n teams. Please discuss this in kde-i18n-doc too.
>
>Definitely.

Just subscribed there, since I feel my 'new role' implies I should :)

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/